This site serves as a playground to help me solve my own problems. The weird-looking scavenger hunt vibe is not a bug, it's a feature.
What is this site meant to do?
This space is a personal website not in the modern sense of the world: it's not a polished, coherent, professional highlight reel of who I am. It's very much a traditional personal site: my digital living room, where I get to play, experiment, start, and stop. I love that part of the Internet, where things are a bit weird, and where people get to share more of themselves than the limits to which large platforms confine them.
Why does this site look... unfinished?
I don't know when you're reading this, but chances are that, when you do, this website looks unusual in one way or another. As a designer, my days are made up of making decisions that benefit both the people who use my creations and the people who pay me to make them. On this website, all bets are off. I happen to love the way Times New Roman in black looks against a white canvas.
What's important to you when it comes to maintaining this website?
- I like brutalist web design
- I enjoy keeping what I write in public and private integrated so that I can link and find what I need with ease. It helps me focus on content, and less on the act of performing a writing process
- I enjoy seeing what I write in text files in a folder. It helps me own my work.
- I'm an active part of the IndieWeb , a community of friendly geeks who appreciate autonomy, hand-made web pages, and digital creativity as much as I do
- The things I do on this website seek to bridge the gap between the me you see on LinkedIn and the me you might see on an anonymous Blogspot in the early 00s. I hope that what you consume here helps you see who I am, rather than just the highlights I experience.
- I like light-weight, simple ways of building websites. Currently, this website exists because a set of Markdown files is compiled into HTML pages by a small Python script written by Kenton Hamaliuk. It's my first time making a static site generator. I have a lot to learn.
- This site has no cookies. You're welcome.
Here's an incomplete list of things I'd like to add to this website:
- Proper handling of frontmatter
- [x] Dark mode
- Digital garden